Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Book Review : Ratlines

Two Posts, back to back! This one is a review of the Advance Uncopyedited Edition of Ratlines by Stuart Neville



When I picked up this book, I didn't know what to expect. I had no idea what Ratlines were. All I knew was what I read on the back of the Advance Uncopyedited Edition I was looking at. Ireland, in the 1960's, and Nazis. I'm Irish, and I enjoy historical fiction. I figured I'd give it a go. And I was very pleasantly rewarded. The story follows Lieutenant Albert Ryan as he investigates murders of foreign nationals (Nazis and Nazi sympathizers) living in Ireland. Tasked with protecting the people he fought against in World War II, he deals with incredible moral and ethical choices. I absolutely loved the protagonists. Neville created characters that you can sympathize with, and characters that you can vilify. I loved Albert Ryan, and hated Otto Skorzeny. I found the Minister of Justice, Charles Haughey, to be an ass, but respected him for his desire to make Ireland great. But what I really loved was how difficult the choices that had to be made were. How do you handle being a lower class working man's son, who's protestant in a still very young Republic of Ireland, who volunteered to fight in World War II despite Ireland's firm stance of neutrality, and then come back to work for the government that allowed nazi refugees, and wind up rubbing elbows with the upper crust of government and society while doing so? Oh, and don't get killed, or allow any more murders to happen...


Overall, I give the book a 8.5 out of 10. It was very well written and a great story. But it was a little long for what initially felt like a mystery novel. It is more of a crime story than it is a mystery. Think of the difference between a Law and Order episode vs a Nero Wolfe episode. I definitely recommend reading it, but if you're not a fan of crime stories, or historical fiction, this one might not be for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment